The first time I watched Thank You for Smoking, I didn't quite enjoy it. Although it’s not the kind of film I would typically choose for myself, the humor and dialogue really kept my attention. While it aims for humor, the film surprisingly delves into significant issues surrounding ethics, marketing, and the essence of responsibility. What resonated with me the most was the contemplation of the distinction between legality and morality.
The moment that stands out to me the most is the conclusion, when Nick Naylor decides to reject the job offer. Throughout the film, he dedicates himself to justifying an industry widely recognized as harmful to people. However, when he looks at his son, he ultimately chooses a different path. To me, that's theessence of what the film truly conveys. Behind the humor and witty debates, there's a deeper message: money isn't always the top priority. Sometimes your values and how your family sees you matter more.
I really don’t think I could handle Nick Naylor’s job. I couldn't see myself working in marketing for cigarettes, and I definitely wouldn't want to promote vaping products either. No amount of money could change my decision. If I don't truly believe in what I'm selling, there's no chance I'd be good at convincing anyone else. Marketing relies heavily on confidence, and I find it challenging to promote or advertise something that I believe is harmful.
Additionally, I believe that businesses ought to have the freedom to promote legal products. Not everyone agrees, but my logic is pretty simple. If the government says you can sell something, then you should be able to advertise it (as long as there are reasonable rules). Otherwise, what’s the purpose of legalizing it? For me, the more pressing question isn’t about advertisements; it’s about the underlying reasons for the existence of these industries in the first place. Substances such as cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, and
marijuana generate significant tax revenue, complicating the dynamic between public health and government interests. The CDC reports that cigarette smoking remains the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the US, accounting for more than 480,000 fatalities annually. Despite the statistics, governments continue to regulate and tax tobacco rather than place a ban on it.
marijuana generate significant tax revenue, complicating the dynamic between public health and government interests. The CDC reports that cigarette smoking remains the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the US, accounting for more than 480,000 fatalities annually. Despite the statistics, governments continue to regulate and tax tobacco rather than place a ban on it.
I believe Heather Holloway was right to reveal the practices of the tobacco industry. It’s crucial for journalists to take on the responsibility of keeping the public informed, especially when companies choose to conceal information that impacts our health. Maybe she overstepped some personal boundaries, but ultimately, it's up to the audience to make that judgment. I believe that revealing the industry's tactics was a justified action, and she was completely entitled to take that step.
Personally, I didn’t have family members who smoked while growing up, so it never seemed like a normal thing to me. I understand that everyone has unique experiences, and those experiences shape their perspectives on substances like tobacco and alcohol. Although films may romanticize smoking and drinking, I believe it poses a greater risk to allow governments or corporations to dictate the media we can access. It's important to recognize the distinction between alerting individuals to potential dangers and restricting historical narratives or curtailing free expression.
Ultimately, Thank You for Smoking made me reflect more on ethical considerations than on the topic of tobacco itself. Just because something is permitted doesn't imply that it is morally acceptable. However, attempting to control speech or media can lead to its own set of issues. I believe it's important for companies to be held accountable when they are dishonest, and individuals should have the freedom to make their own decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment